Following an outstanding career as a student-athlete, Max Molock returned to his alma mater as head baseball coach in 1940, a post he would hold for the next four decades. Molock amassed a record of 437-366, leading his teams to 11 MIAC championships during his time as head coach. That success resulted in Saint Mary's christening its baseball field with his name in 1977 and the American Baseball Coaches Association welcoming him into its Hall of Fame in 1981.
Molock also lent his coaching expertise to the football, basketball, and hockey programs at Saint Mary's, serving as an assistant coach on the gridiron and court, while leading the charge to reinstitute varsity hockey in 1958. Molock coached the Saint Mary's men's hockey team from 1958-62 and was also responsible for establishing wrestling as a varsity sport at the school. In 1990, the MIAC renamed its Baseball Player of the Year Award in honor of Molock. He was inducted into the Saint Mary's Athletics Hall of Fame in 1972.